Thursday, August 4, 2011

Diary - The Making of First School Bag (Part 1)


This is the first time I make school bag, the most complicated item I ever made. I made a very serious drawings before I start to sew it. Yeah, I seldom sketch a detail design drawings. It has so many components to be prepared and with a detail drawings it will help me to sort up the priority of every steps.

As you see, this is the front view.



And this is the back view.


I like to use graph paper to prepare the patterns. As this is quite a big bag, I need to glue up 2 pieces of A3 size graph papers for the major parts. The white paper is A4 size, so you can have an idea of the size.



These are the side body components and it attached with a pocket each side.

To ensure the durability of this heavy duty school bag (to handle 3-5kgs books), I have used up whatever durable materials I know. Canvas fabric + Thick type stabiliser + Batting + France cotton thread. Every piece of exterior needs to be iron on with a layer of stabiliser and a layer of batting plus one last step of stitching enforcement for these 3 layers of materials. And, all pockets are also iron with stabiliser.



The components for front parts. Three external pockets. I pretty like the colours combination of the fabrics.




Well, that's all for the current completion. Stay tuned ya !!!

1 comment: